How to switch dog foods
How to avoid mistakes while switching dog food
The transition process takes a week and involves mixing your dog’s current food with new food, with a gradual increase in the amount of new food given to a pet. It looks as follows:
- Day 1-2: current food — 75%, new food — 25%
- Day 3-4: current food — 50%, new food — 50%
- Day 5-6: current food — 25%, new food — 75%
- Day 7: 100% — new food
- The transition to adult dog food should take place when your puppy reaches 12 months.
- Puppies should be transited to adult dog food with respect to their size: small and large breeds have different nutrition needs.
- Adult dogs who reached the age of 7 years old, have to be transferred to dog food for mature adults or senior dogs.
- Pregnant and nursing dogs need to be transferred to a calcium-rich diet - puppy food.
- When transferring your dog to a new food under the recommendation of a vet, make sure to discuss all the details to be aware of all the special considerations and suggestions.